Friday, November 18, 2011

Anybody else having poor luck with Dunlop 404 on a Harley dresser?

The last one I replaced I only got 4700 miles!|||I prefer Dunlop over any other brand and I've tried them all. I have a Kaw 6 cylinder Voyager dresser and it weighs more than even a HD bagger. I cannot use a 404 on the rear (same MU90-16 many HD use) because it's close to being overloaded as soon as I crawl on. (I've weighed the bike, 400 lb front, 560 lb rear.) A 140/90-16 404 is rated 761 lbs, so I couldn't haul an adult passenger without being overloaded. I suspect that when you pile on your bike, I bet the 404 on the rear is close to being overloaded and if you haul a pasenger, it is. The 404 load rating is comparable to most other bike tires of that size, but it's intended for cruisers and not for heavy dressers. By comparison, the Dunlop Eilte3 of the same size is rated 930 lbs. I have over 23,000 miles on my rear Elite 3 and that's high speed, loaded highway miles.





I have a 404 on the front of my bike and now have 12,000 miles and there's maybe a couple more thousand left on it. When I got the bike, it had a worn out Eilte on the front and I still put another 6,000 on it before I replaced it. I suggest you either go with the HD OEM Dunlops (410, 420???), although I know they have stiffer sidewalls than the Elite 3. (I have one on my other bike.) The Elite 2 would probably be ok but they cost more and return fewer miles than the 3.|||There has been almost nothing good or bad about any tires in the motorcycle forum here the last 9 months or so, One would think a dunlop would do twice that with hard use though. I have been using dunlop since 84? I think, and I even had one go flat (front) in the middle of now where. Sidewall on the tire was super stiff so I rode it 50 miles to safety I could hardly lift my arms when I got home, my buddies all tried to move the front end flat on the garage floor and none of them could twist the bars, and the tire was hot enough to cook an egg on.|||I am assuming you are talking about the rear tire???





5000-7500 miles is average for a bagger. Your bike weighs around 800lbs. Mileage has ALOT to do with keeping proper tire pressures maintained, your riding style and type of roads it is ridden on.





Dunlops are "iffy", some people have very good luck with them, some don't. My personal preference is Metzler ME880's. They offer good wet and dry handling and good mileage. Most of my customers average 8-10k miles on their Metzlers.





Be SURE to KEEP the pressures at 36 front / 40 rear for average loads, if carryiong alot of weight, run 38/42.|||That is pretty good mileage for a bagger that is close to what I get.5000 miles is pretty good for the torque these bike have and they work good in wet and handle well. I have Michelin commander on my 07 road Glide and they work good not as good as the 404's in the wet but still not bad.|||I stopped using dunlops four years ago,found Kenda tires instead,With these I can get around 12,000 miles and they are easier on the wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment